- Mucolytics (medicines to help clear mucus from your lungs)
How to Store and Prepare a Dose of CAYSTON®
CAYSTON can be stored at room temperature for up to 28 days
Always keep your CAYSTON and saline together. CAYSTON and saline can be stored at room temperature (less than 77 °F) for up to 28 days and should be refrigerated at 36 °F to 46 °F (2 °C to 8 °C) for longer periods. Do not use CAYSTON if it has been stored at room temperature for more than 28 days. It should also be protected from light.
Before taking a dose of CAYSTON
You should use an inhaled bronchodilator (a type of medicine used to relax and open your airways) before taking a dose of CAYSTON. If you are taking several medicines or treatments to treat your cystic fibrosis, you should take your medicines or other treatments in this order:
Preparing your CAYSTON
Check to make sure that your ALTERA® Nebulizer System works properly before starting your treatment with CAYSTON. See the manufacturer's instructions for use that come with your ALTERA Nebulizer System. This should have complete information about how to put together (assemble), prepare, use, and care for your ALTERA Nebulizer System. You can also click here to view a copy of the manufacturer's instructions for use.
preparing your cayston for inhalation
You will need the following supplies:
- One amber-colored CAYSTON vial covered by a metal seal with a blue cap or a metal seal only
- One ampule of saline (diluent)
- Your ALTERA Nebulizer System
1. get the materials
- Take 1 amber vial of CAYSTON and 1 ampule of saline from the carton. Separate the saline ampule by gently pulling apart. (Note: If the saline looks cloudy, throw it away and use another ampule.)
2. open the cayston
- Gently tap the vial so that the powder settles to the bottom of the vial. This helps you get the proper dose of medicine. With the blue cap tab facing toward you, place the vial on a flat surface. Using one hand to hold the vial steady, use the other hand to slowly flip up the blue cap (Figure 1). Pull the blue cap down to a flat (horizontal) position (where the bottom of the blue cap faces up), to prepare the metal seal for removal (Figure 2). Do not completely tear through the metal seal. While continuing to hold the vial steady with one hand, use the other hand to slowly pull the blue cap in a counterclockwise direction. Do not twist the blue cap (Figure 3). When the metal seal opens, continue to slowly pull the blue cap in a counterclockwise direction until the metal seal is completely removed. Safely dispose of the ring in household garbage. Carefully remove (but do not yet discard) the rubber stopper.
3. open the saline
- Open the ampule of saline by twisting off the tip. Squeeze out the contents completely into the vial (Figure 4). Next, close the vial with the rubber stopper and gently swirl the vial until the powder has completely dissolved and the liquid is clear.
4. check the mixture
- After mixing CAYSTON with the saline, check to make sure the diluted medicine is clear. If it is cloudy or has particles in it, do not use this medicine. Throw away this dose of medicine and start over again with a new vial of CAYSTON and a new ampule of saline.
5. take your cayston
- Use CAYSTON right away after you mix with the saline.
I remember my first shipment of CAYSTON. Being prescribed a new inhaled antibiotic to help fight my Pseudomonas aeruginosa (Pa) was pretty exciting.”